Brewing a Chemex coffee is like a calming ritual any time of the day, here is step-by-step tutorials to make Chemex brewing simple and easy.
- Chemex 6-8 Cups
- Chemex paper filters
- Pouring kettle
- Digital scales / Timer
Grind size / Medium - course / similar looking to coarse / rough sand
Ratio / 30g of coffee to 500g(ml) water / 1:16.7
Brew time / 3:00 - 3:30min
Water temperature / 94 degrees Celsius /
- Fold the filter so the 3 layers are on one side and one layer is on the other. Place 3 layers towards the Channel (Spout) of the Chemex. This is important to prevent the filter from collapsing into the spout when it gets wet.
- Rinse out the filter with the hot water, it helps to reduce any paper taste and also warms up Chemex.
- Add coffee into Chemex and shake it to level the bed of grounds, place the brewer on the scale and set it to zero.
- Start a timer and pour around 100ml/g of water over the coffee grounds. Start in the middle and pour in a circular motion towards the edges to ensure complete and even saturation of grounds. Let it sit until your timer reads 45 sec. This step is called the bloom. Hot water forces the coffee to release trapped gases, leading to the expansion of the coffee bed.
- After Bloom, gradually pour the rest of the water over the coffee in a circular motion and avoiding the edges. If needed, adjust the pour speed.
- Allow water to drip fully.
- Enjoy your coffee.